Sharapova Is the Richest Female Athlete According to Forbes
Forbes recently announced their top 10 list of the highest paid female athletes in 2013, and topping the charts is the Russian tennis master Maria Sharapova with earnings of $29 million. The magazine also wanted to point out that there are some serious differences between the earnings of women and men who practice the same sport.
In any case, it would certainly seem that female tennis players are the best earners out there, since the first four top positions were occupied by Sharapova followed by Serena Williams (2nd with $20.5 million), Li Na (3rd with $18.2 million) and Victoria Azarenka (4th with $15.7 million).
But Forbes might actually be on to something when it states that men earn more than women when it comes to sport, since we only have to look at a few examples to realize how big the differences really are. As far as basketball is concerned, Kobe Bryant is expected to receive as much as $30.5 million for his next season, while the highest salary for women in the same category is just $107,000. Another good example is Park Inbee’s success during the US Open, which allowed her to cash in $585,000, and while that’s no small amount, keep in mind that the men’s winner Justin Rose received $1.4 million.
At least we know that Sharapova is certainly enjoying great success, more so since she was able to gather $23 million in endorsements with companies such as Nike and Head. Furthermore, she also decided to launch her own line of sweets named Sugarpova.
Here’s the full top 10 of the highest paid female athletes of 2013 according to Forbes:
1. Maria Sharapova (RUS), tennis, $29 million
2. Serena Williams (USA), tennis, $20.5 million
3. Li Na (CHN), tennis, $18.2 million
4. Victoria Azarenka (BLR), tennis, $15.7 million
5. Danica Patrick (USA), NASCAR, $15 million
6. Kim Yuna (KOR), figure skating, $14 million
7. Caroline Wozniacki (DEN), tennis, $13.6 million
8. Agnieszka Radwanska (POL), tennis, $7.4 million
9. Ana Ivanovic (SRB), tennis, $7 million
10. Paula Creamer (USA), golf, $5.5 million.