Nuremberg – Where Old Meets New
One of the largest cities on Germany and the second largest in the Free State of Bavaria, Nuremberg is situated on the Pegnitz River and on the Rhine-Main-Danube canal. With its roots going deep into history, the city merges old and new in a wonderful manner. Here tourists can enjoy incursions into medieval times while also benefiting from the privileges of the modern life. Actually, Nuremberg is one of the most livable cities in the world.
Sadly, most of the city was destroyed during World War II, but the important buildings of the medieval center were reconstructed using the original materials for a very authentic result. An excellent preservation of these buildings was a must, because Nuremberg was a significant political center in the country. Emperors of the Middle Ages preferred to live here, and later it became the cradle of the Nazi regime.
One of the most visited attractions in the city is the Church of Our Lady (Frauenkirche), which is a beautiful Brick Gothic construction on the eastern side of the main market. It was built on the site of a former Jewish synagogue, which was destroyed in 1349. Commissioned by Emperor Charles IV and erected in the mid-14th century, it was originally an imperial court chapel. It still holds remarkable sculptures and works of art from the Middle Ages.
Another attraction is the Imperial Castle (Kaiserburg), which has become the symbol of the city. Perched high on a sandstone rock, this is one of the most important imperial residences from the medieval times. Rulers lived here (at least for a part of their lives) between 1050 and 1571.
Situated in the main market, next to the Town Hall, is one of the most beautiful fountains you will ever see. It is actually even called the Beautiful Fountain (SchönerBrunnen), and it represents a roughly 62-foot pyramid made of stone and looking very much like a Gothic steeple. It was built between 1389 and 1396 with an octagonal basin at the base and an impressive 40 stone figures as decorations. The original protective railing was created in 1587, but when it was reconditioned in the 20th century it also received the current rings, which tourists are encouraged to spin for good luck.
Also worth visiting is St. Egidien’s Church, which actually started out as a monastery in 1140. This is the only remaining Baroque worship building in Nuremberg, and it is dedicated to St. Giles. The current building is not the original one, because in 1696a great fire burnt it down together with most of the city. Some parts from the 13th centuries have survived until today, such as a side chapel inside which dates back to 1200. World War II also took its toll on the building, but the church was successfully reconstructed in the years that followed.
- We recommend a stop at the State Theater (Staatstheater), which is one of the largest (over 500 employees)and most beautifultheaters in the country. It was built in 1905.
- The best time to come to Nuremberg is spring, summer and autumn.
- However, festival enthusiasts can’t miss the Christmas Market in December.
- For plush accommodations look for the five-star Sheraton Carlton Hotel Nuremberg. Excellent Four-star options are also available.