Exquisite Frederiksborg Palace in Denmark
As one of the most impressive castles of Denmark and the largest Renaissance palace in Scandinavia, the Frederiksborg Palace currently represents a very important tourist attraction and a historically significant landmark that attracts an impressive number of visitors each year. The castle can be found right in the middle of of Palace Lake in the Danish city of Hillerød, and it is complemented by an exquisite Baroque garden.
Even though it was originally constructed to serve as a royal residence for King Christian IV, nowadays, this exquisite feat of engineering houses a museum of national history that was founded by a philanthropist named J. C. Jacobsen. The current building actually replaced a much older one built by Frederick II, and it still retains some of its original parts, some dating all the way back to 1560. However, Christian IV was the one that commissioned the construction of the current Frederiksborg Palace between 1602 and 1620. The layout was sketched out by Flemish architects Hans and Lorenz van Steenwinckel who built this incredible place following the guidelines of the Dutch architectural style.
Eventually, Christian IV passed away in 1648, after which his castle was mostly used for ceremonial purposes such as the anointments of Christian V and Charlotte Amalie of Hesse-Kassel in 1671 all the way to Christian VIII and Caroline Amalie of Schleswig-Holstein in 1840. The Palace Church is also known as the Chapel of Orders, and it was used as a knight’s chapel for the Order of the Elephant. Consequently, the church now boasts the coats-of-arms of the Dannebrog and of the Order of the Elephant on its walls.
The castle’s vast historical heritage is also owed to the fact that it housed a series of highly important art collections as well as various works regarding the life of Jesus made by Carl Heinrich Bloch – a famed Danish painter. Furthermore, the Frederiksborg Palace was the site of the Treaty of Frederiksborg, which was signed in 1720 ending the Great Northern War between Denmark-Norway and Sweden.
King Frederick VII also used the castle as its personal residence during the 1850s, and on December 16, 1859, a terrible fire destroyed much of the palace’s interior. The king and the aforementioned philanthropist J. C. Jacobsen invested vast sums of money into the reconstruction project.